Buckinghamshire New University – Head Basketball Coach
Closing date: 24th July 2021
Location: High Wycombe
Employment type: Part Time here or Full time with Academy responsibilities
Salary: Minimum £10k part time role with opportunities for full time salary if appropriate.
Reading Rockets is seeking a highly motivated and passionate basketball coach to oversee the delivery of the University’s basketball programme for the 2021/22 academic year, and ideally support Rockets’ prestigious academy programme.
The successful applicant will be expected to operate alongside Reading Rockets and Buckinghamshire New University staff and within the University’s code of conduct and practices including Health and Safety, Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity and Financial Regulations as well as General Data Protection Regulation requirements, alongside Reading Rockets’ policies.
The successful applicant must have three to five years’ experience as a basketball head coach/assistant coach in a higher education or national league environment. They must be an effective team player and enjoy working to create a forward focused culture and deliver a high-performance training environment.
This role description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and will be amended in the light of changing needs of the organisation and the successful applicant’s availability. The successful individual will be subject to a DBS check and UK Right to Work checks. This role could be linked to other opportunities within the Rockets framework dependent on the applicant’s skill set and availability as outlined above.
All applications will be considered using the following criteria:
1. Organise and administer the Men’s and Women’s basketball programme including coaching, recruiting and scheduling.
2. Contribute to the overall development of the basketball programme by working closely with the multi-disciplinary team.
3. Commit to and deliver a minimum of two training sessions per week with particular focus on improving techniques, skill development and tactical awareness of performance basketball athletes.
4. Provide a monthly performance related report on performance indicators, which will include squad progression, scholar’s performance, NGB and BUCS compliance.
5. Be fully aware of all health and safety risks associated to basketball, and put measures in place in line with Government and NGB guidelines to ensure a safe environment for all participants.
6. Set and work towards performance targets in conjunction with Rockets’ Director of Coaching to further develop the basketball programme.
|Essential Criteria||Desirable Criteria|
|Qualifications||Qualified basketball coach level 2-3||Educated to degree level or equivalent.|
|Experience||Proven experience of delivering a high standard basketball coaching service to teams as well as individual athletes.
Understanding of the role of S &C within the team.
|Experience of undertaking a needs analysis on basketball to identify the key development areas, injury risk and strength and conditioning demands of the sport in order to plan and deliver appropriate coaching interventions.
Experience of working within an elite education environment.
Experience raising funds for a basketball programme.
|Skills, Knowledge and Abilities||Knowledge and application of rules and regulations of BUCS and National Leagues.
Competent when using Microsoft Excel, Outlook and additional IT programmes.
|Understanding of and experience of progressing an athlete from initial assessment phase of injury to full training and competition.
Recruiting connections in the UK and internationally.
|Business Requirements||Must be available to work some evenings and weekends as required.
Individual Coaching insurance.
|Understanding of the Higher Education sector, especially within Sport.
A good understanding of student athlete lifestyle and the challenges, processes and priorities that come with being a student athlete.
How to Apply –
Applicants must submit a CV & cover letter that includes details of how the applicant meets essential and desired qualifications.
Please ensure your CV and cover letter provide the following items:
– Clearly illustrate how prior experience, knowledge and education meet the minimum and desired criteria for this role.
– Two professional references, preferably current and/or former supervisors. If references are not provided in resume upon application, they will be requested at time of interview.
Please return application to Rockets’ Director of Coaching Matt Johnson – firstname.lastname@example.org