Elite Coach for Reading Rockets Div. 1 Senior Men and JMA Basketball Academy.
Reading Rockets are looking to appoint an elite coach to act as the Head Coach for the NBL Div. 1 Men’s team and for the Basketball Academy at the John Madejski Academy. The coach will be responsible to Rockets’ Director of Coaching.
The role is ideal for an ambitious coach who wants the opportunity to develop and progress their coaching career, having already served as Head Coach or Assistant coach of an academy (or similar) team and of a Div.1 or 2 NBL team (or similar). Rockets are looking for an experienced coach with excellent basketball knowledge, combined with enthusiasm and strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
The job will be based in Reading, with accommodation provided in the locality, if the successful applicant doesn’t live within reasonable travelling distance.
- To be the Head Coach of Rockets’ Div. 1 team and to perform at all times to a very high level of coaching performance commensurate with that which may be reasonably expected of a basketball coach of this level of team. This will include team practices, National Basketball League games, leading individuals, video analysis and other associated roles.
- To be the Head Coach of the Basketball Academy at the John Madejski Academy, developing the 16-19 year old players who will compete in the EABL and other competitions. Again this will include team practices, games, structured development programmes for groups of students, video analysis and other associated roles.
- To do everything necessary to develop and maintain the fitness of each of the academy students and senior players.
- To coach within the Key Stage 3/4 Junior Basketball Academy (11-16) at The John Madejski Academy.
- To approach coaching from a player development perspective.
- To work within the club’s framework and philosophy.
- To take a professional approach in the planning, preparation and organisation of their work.
- To build and maintain relationships with various partners in the community and within the club.
- To help support and develop other club colleagues and coaches.
- To be flexible with working hours, including unsocial hours, and prepared to work at weekends as required.
- There will be further opportunities to develop this role dependent on the appointed coach’s strengths and interests.
- Significant elite coaching experience
- Experience of coaching players of all ages and abilities in a wide range of environments (schools, colleges, club and community sessions)
- Experience of working with other coaches, including mentoring younger coaches
- Experience of monitoring and oversight of programmes
- Current and clean driving licence
- Ideally Level 3 Basketball England basketball coaching qualification or equivalent
- Preferably educated to degree level
- Awareness of safeguarding and child protection issues – the appointed coach will be required to take further safeguarding and other appropriate training
- First Aid qualification
- An enhanced DBS certificate (or for overseas coaches, criminal records check from their country)
- Experience and good level of IT literacy, word processing, spreadsheet and database packages
- Evidence of successful career to date; personal goals; achievements
- Successful references from your current/ most recent employer and/or club
Start date: 1st September 2021
Salary:: Competitive pay for this role dependent on experience
How To Apply
Please send a copy of your CV and letter of application no later than Sunday 13th June 2021 to Rockets’ Director of Coaching firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, call Matt Johnson on 07834 372952. Interviews will take place before the end of June.